Verein Forum Ahnen-DB Chroniken

Genealogy Forum Bavaria

Family and home history

Genealogical message board for all Bavarian rural and urban districts

FAQFAQ   RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Chat RoomChat Room
DownloadsDownloads   Bavaria MapBavaria Map   CalendarCalendar   Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   PortalPortal
ProfileProfile   PreferencesPreferences   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    RegisterRegister

Schon gewusst ...
 ... dass bei der Passwortvergabe eine ungefähre Beurteilung der Passwort-Sicherheit angezeigt wird?  

Forum Index » Genealogie in Bayern - Bavarian genealogy » Bayern (überregional)
Help translating name of Bavarian town
View previous topic - View next topic
Sim Pit

PostPosted: Sat, 02. Mar 2019 08:35 
Post subject: Help translating name of Bavarian town
Reply with quote Download post Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I live in the United States and am researching my Bavarian ancestors who came to the United States in 1846. I need help with two items. Can someone please help me? And please use English?

1. What is the name of the town shown circled in red? This was taken from the ship manifest for the Garonne ship that entered into Baltimore, Maryland in July 1846. It looks like "Mkt Burgeln" and I am guessing that is an abbreviation for Burglengenfeld? Or am I wrong? I have---hopefully correctly---inserted a scanned image of the manifest into this email.

2. During the 1840's, were Bavarian babies given their father's surname or mother's maiden name? My ancestors' names were Johann Schwartz and Elizabeth Hahn, but I found them on this list and it looks like their first two children's last names were Hahn... unless Elizabeth was married before and Johann was her second husband?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sim Pit

Ralph Habersack

PostPosted: Sat, 02. Mar 2019 20:56 
Post subject: Re: Help translating name of Bavarian town

Hello Sim,

It reads: Mkt Burgeln. Mkt is an abbreviation for Markt. However, I didn't find a town in Bavaria by the name of "Markt Burgeln"

My first guess is that the author meant "Marktbergel" which is a small town in Bavaria between Ansbach and Würzburg, in the county of Neustadt a.d. Aisch. The entry for Georg Belzner immediately above that of Johann Schwarz might read Burgbernheim (it is hidden behind your red marking). If this is correct, it would support Marktbergel because Burgbernheim is only 3 km away from Marktbergel. Neustadt is also mentioned in the manifest (last entry shown), although there are many towns by that name in Germany.

BTW, a person by the name of Margaretha Schwarz, born March 27, 1811 in Marktbergel, emigrated to the US in 1853 [source: primary: Heinz Kühlwein, Auswanderung NEA: "Mir gefällt es in Amerika besser wie draußen" - Der Landkreis Neustadt an der Aisch-Bad Windsheim und die Auswanderung nach den Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika im 19. Jahrhundert. Nürnberg 2007 (Quellen und Forschungen zur fränkischen Familiengeschichte, 18), secondary: GFF Index Personarum]. A (very!) bold guess would be that she was a family member (sister?) who followed after Johann had settled in the United States.

Regarding your second question, the children were given the father's surname. Only if the father was unknown (born illegitimate), they were given the mother's surname. The excerpt from the manifest can be interpreted in two different ways: either as meaning that Anna and Joh. Leonhard had the surname Hahn ("), or that they were a family all by the name of Schwarz, with the mother's maiden name given as additional information. I would say the latter is more likely. You should compare it with the rest of the manifest to see what notation the author had generally used for family passengers.

If you think Marktbergel is worth further research, you should consult the church books for a marriage record. If the family was lutheran, the churchbooks can be searched online (www.archion.de - either subscribe with costs, or, better, ask a kind soul for a lookup). I don't think there was a catholic church in Marktbergel at that time, but I could be wrong.

Regards,
Ralph
Sim Pit

PostPosted: Mon, 04. Mar 2019 03:06 
Post subject: Re: Help translating name of Bavarian town

Dear Ralph,

Thank you so very much for your helpful and informative post.

I have spent the last couple of days studying up on Germanic districting, such as the meaning behind the word Markt, and the history of Marktbergel and Bergel. It is my understanding that Marktbergel is a community of smaller villages and it contains the village of Bergel (in addition to other villages). Is it possible for Marktbergel to be bigger than that, similar to a parish? Or is that what Markt means? Am I to view Marktbergel as a parish or as a town when looking up my ancestors' records?

I have re-scanned the list to show you the name you were referring to above Mkt Bergln. It is what you suspected---Burgbernheim, and you are right. It is right next to Marktbergel.

That is very interesting about Margaretha... my ancestors Johann and Elizabeth's second daughter, born here in America (the first of seven additional children), was named Margaret Eva. I will have to search for Margaretha and see if she settled anywhere near Johann. Johann and his family moved quite a bit (living in Ohio and Indiana for a number of years) before they settled in Iowa. They came to Iowa in 1854.

I have Norwegian and Danish ancestors, as well. The naming conventions you mentioned match their naming conventions, too. I suspect you are right, but I wanted to make sure. Johann and Elizabeth's children named their mother's maiden name as "Hahn" on their marriage records. Several of their death records mention "Hahn", too.

The family was Lutheran, so that was good advice for looking up church records.

Thank you very much, Ralph, for all your help. It is much appreciated.

Sim
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] View previous topic - View next topic

Download all posts
Forum Index » Genealogie in Bayern - Bavarian genealogy » Bayern (überregional)
Jump to: